Do you have a favorite recipe that ends up becoming a tradition for holidays and get-togethers? Well this is my families favorite not so good for you but tastes so yummy that you will eat it anyway desert!! We don’t care if it’s red velvet cupcakes or cake…either way it’s always a go to in our family. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Read down to the bottom if you would rather make it as a cake (same recipe you just bake it a little different).
Homemade Red Velvet Cupcakes with the Best Whipped Frosting you have ever Tasted!
- 2 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 3 oz. red food coloring
- 2 tbs. cocoa
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. white vinegar
- 3 cups flour (divided)
- 1 cup buttermilk (divided)
**Preheat oven to 350 degrees
1) In a very small bowl mix together baking soda and vinegar and set aside.
2) Make a paste with the red food coloring and cocoa.
3) Cream together sugar and butter. Add eggs in one at a time and mix well.
4) Add in 1 cup flour and 1/3 cup buttermilk and mix well. Repeat this step two more times. (you should use 3 cup flour and 1 cup buttermilk by the time you finish this step 😉
5) Mix in 1 tsp. vanilla
6) Pour red velvet cupcake mixture into a lined cupcake pan. Fill cupcakes 3/4 of the way full to yield a large cupcake. Bake in 350 degree oven for 20 to 22 minutes turning pans once during baking. Check cupcakes with a toothpick (insert into the center of cupcake, when toothpick comes out clean it is finished).
** Cool cupcakes well before icing.
** yields approximately 24 cupcakes
Best Whipped Frosting You will Ever Taste
- 1 Cup Milk
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 sticks softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
1) In a medium sized heavy pot cook milk and flour until a thick gravy forms. Set aside until cooled thoroughly.
2) In a large bowl beat both sticks of softened butter with the sugar for ten minutes.
3) Add gravy mixture and vanilla and beat an additional 5 minutes. I bet you that this will be the best frosting you have ever tasted!!
Once you have made the homemade red velvet cupcakes with this frosting it will soon become a favorite!! You can use the same recipe to make red velvet cake. Just use 3 nine inch round baking pans. Bake in a 250 degree oven for 14-15 minutes. Use icing to ice and stack all three layers. The cupcakes and cake or to die for!!